The Arcive of vBulletin Modifications Site. |
|
Details »»
|
|||||||||||||||||||||||||
I just switched and imported from a UBB to vB. One of the things I miss from the UBB is the way I was able to add a column of links on the left which was visible on every forum page.
I did it by adding code to the header and footer fields in the control panel... in effect creating a table so that the links where in a narrow cell on the left, and the body of the forums was in the larger cell on the right. Then I closed the table in the footer field. Does the same thing apply to vB? Anybody do this? Is there any site with common easy customizations? Thanks! Show Your Support
|
|||||||||||||||||||||||||
| Comments |
|
#2
|
|||
|
|||
|
One word: templates.
Because everything is returned within a template, every aspect (for the most part) can be manipulated by changing the corresponding template. So yes, it is possible and is just as easy to implement in vB as in UBB. |
|
#3
|
|||
|
|||
|
Is there a template tutorial anywhere? I am used to UB's and UBB's and the vB seems quite different. A little template knowledge would be helpful so I can try to pull this off. Thanks.
|
|
#4
|
|||
|
|||
|
vB also has a header/footer facility... you'd be best off using that instead of editing all the templates manually.
|
|
#5
|
|||
|
|||
|
Yup, there's still a header/footer system if you want to use it. There's even an option to use PHP code in the header/footer.
Go to "Change styles" in the CP and you'll see 3 text boxes: cssinclude - stuff that goes between the <head>...</head> tags on every page header - just below the <body> tag (same as UBB) footer - just above the </body> tag (same as UBB) |
|
#6
|
|||
|
|||
|
so you just need to make a 2 column table for the header, put the links for the left hand side in the first column and then leave the 2nd column open in the header and close it at the start of the footer (or end depending on if you want opyright stuff below the forum or below everything. That is all you need to do.
|
|
#7
|
|||
|
|||
|
Quote:
You can edit your templates in any HTML editor. I use Homesite. |
|
#8
|
|||
|
|||
|
Thanks all. I thought of another option. I suppose I could make my site a frames-based site. Just leave the columns of links and stuff in the left as a nav bar.... and have the other pages, including the vB open on the right? Right?
|
|
#9
|
|||
|
|||
|
you could if your visitors don't mind the scurge that is frames
![]() go with just editing the header, your visitors will prefere it (especially as most people using forums open pages in new windows which is going to cause frame problems) |
|
#10
|
|||
|
|||
|
I thought the "hatred" of frames was going away. Wasn't it just due to older browsers not being frames capable?
|
![]() |
|
|