The Arcive of vBulletin Modifications Site. |
|
|
#1
|
|||
|
|||
|
Let's say I make a few hacks in the php. Everytime a new version comes out, it replaces the file. Does this become troublesome for you guys? Do you have a system to make it easier to reapply hacks? Plugins/hooks don't do everything you need so unfortunately I can't always rely on that
|
|
#2
|
||||
|
||||
|
If there is no hook available - there usually is a workaround method. If you have to make a file edit, consider using diff.
|
|
#3
|
||||
|
||||
|
diff is a UNIX command though. Know of a windows version?
As for edits, some of my mods require PHP edits (adding code), and only minimal complaints. I did get a question from someone when a new hook came out and I removed that edit from the instructions though
|
|
#4
|
|||
|
|||
|
can you give me an example of a workaround method?
|
|
#5
|
||||
|
||||
|
It depends what you're doing. Find hooks, and make your modifications to cater them.
|
|
#6
|
||||
|
||||
|
I just keep a wiki with all my admin notes, and in my 'how to upgrade' section I include a listing of each mod that requires a template edit, and a quick description where the edit goes.
There's about 5 now, but with 3 skins that's 15 edits which isn't something I'd want to do all the time, but it really only has to be done for major upgrades. |
|
#7
|
||||
|
||||
|
Never troublesome for me, because I use template edits, products and plugins instead of file edits, and the built in tools are usually easy enough to use to update templates.
|
|
#8
|
||||
|
||||
|
Also consider looking at Kirby's TMS - makes upgrading much easier.
|
|
#9
|
||||
|
||||
|
Quote:
|
|
#10
|
||||
|
||||
|
Kirby = Andreas , he changed name. That mod is the TMS referred to.
|
![]() |
|
|